Chandrataal means lake of the moon and is situated in Spiti at an altitude of 4300 meters surrounded by awe-inspiring mountains and sights. It is a popular destination for campers and hikers and also is an important stop for numerous trekking routes in the region. We operate a campsite near the lake during summer season when the road route is open for traffic. It is situated about 3 kms from the lake and about 12 kms from the Kunzum La. Chandra river flows just a few hundred meters from the camp site and it’s source, Samudri Tapu is visible not so far away. We can also arrange for a trek to Samudri Tapu for our more adventurous guests, In this campsite, you can meet other adventurous travellers, our staff from neighbouring villages, hard working local Gaddi shepherds and their flock of yaks, sheep, goats and mules guarded by their loyal dogs.
It’s common to spot various types of birds and animals like wild yaks, ibex, pika, marmot, Himalayan Griffon at different times and locations. Some of our lucky guests have spotted Himalayan wolf and the ghost like snow leopards too.
1) 1, 2 and 3 person tents for individuals and couples. Larger tent for larger groups.
2) Hot meals, tea, water on demand. Menu is rather limited due to remoteness of the place.
3) Quilts, blankets, ground mats and sleeping bags.
4) Basic toilet facilities.
5) Bonfire in campground if enough wood and fuel is available.
6) Ample parking space.
7) Freedom to bring your own camping gear and use our space. Chargeable.
How To Reach:
1) If coming from Manali, 16 kms drive from Batal.
2) If driving from Kaza, drive down Kunzum La pass towards Batal and follow the route.
8-9 kms hike from Kunzum La through highly rugged and beautiful terrain.
Transport in a shared or private taxi is available on request and availability.
Important Information For Travelers:
1) Regardless of duration of your stay, please bring wind-cheater, warm clothes, thick socks, sun-screen scarf, hat and sun-glasses to protect from cold, strong wind and sun.
2) Please don’t litter or dispose of bottles, wrappers and plastic in Spiti. Please bring a trash bag and take back your trash with you for a safe disposal.
3) If you have a history of heart disease, breathing problems or blood pressure issues, please consult your doctor before undertaking such a trip.
4) Phones usually don’t work in the region. BSNL works in a few places, but coverage is very limited.
5) Please bring a water filter bottle instead of buying packaged water.
6) It is a protected wild life sanctuary. So don’t play loud music or harm flora and fauna.
- Luxury tent with beds and attached toilet : INR 2000 per person with breakfast, dinner, tea and snacks.
- Large tent With Beds and shared toilet : INR 1500 per person with breakfast, dinner, tea and snacks.
- Small tent with bedding on floor and shared toilet : INR 1300 per person with breakfast, dinner, tea and snacks.