Nag Tibba is scenic and picturesque spot in the foothills of the Garhwal Himalayas. This mountain peak is at an altitude of 3100 m and offers spectacular views of Banderpoonch range, Yamuna river valley peaks and Mussourie town . Pir Punjal, Dhauladhar and Nag Tibba mountain ranges are the 3 main ranges of the lower Himalayas. It also finds a mention in a famous book ‘7 years in Tibet’ which chronicles the escape of German mountaineer Hienrich Harrier from British into Tibet during World War 2. The range owes it’s name to a temple dedicated to Nag Devta. Snakes have always had an important and sacred place in Hindu mythology as they are said to represent the cycle of birth, death and rebirth by way of shedding their skin and various other legends and stories. Villagers from nearby consider the deity of this temple as the protector of their cattle and other domesticated animals.
DAY 01: Dehradun- Campsite. 3-4 hours Drive or 4 hours hike
DAY 02: Campsite – Nagtibba. Top (3-4 hours ) – Nagtibba Base Campsite (1 hour)
DAY 03: Nagtibba Base – Pantwari. ( 3- 4 hours) – Dehradun (3-4 hours Drive )
Duration: 3 Days, 2 Nights
Best Season: January to June. September till December.
Maximum Elevation: 3100 m Nagtibba Top
Weather: Cold nights and days during winter. Pleasant days during summer
Getting From/To: Dehradoon is well connected by road from New Delhi .
Day 01 : Dehradun – Campsite. 3-4 hours Drive or 4 hours hike
We will start early morning drive from Dehradun towards Pantwari village. This will take us behind the Mussourie ridge and in to area used by shepherds as their grazing ground. The regions is full of terrace farms, grazing grounds and flocks of sheep and goats all over. There are a lot of flowering trees and plants and doznes of different types of birds every where. Our campsite is at some height from village and has a profusion of nuerous plants like mint and edible green leafy vegetables.
Day 02 : Water Campsite – Nagtibba Top (3-4 hours) – Nagtibba Base Campsite (1 hour )
After breakfast we climb up the hill to Nag Devta temple which is an old bilding without any preist. Locals visit and clean the temple every few days. The open space near temple is used as a grazing ground. Nag Tibba ridge continues on further on an incline and takes about 1 hour to cover. The surrounding forest is full of numerous varieties of trees including oak and rhododendrons. After lunch, back to Nag Tibba campsite.
Day 03 : Nagtibba Base – Pantwari ( 3-4 hours) – Dehradun (3-4 hours Drive )
Taking the same route back, we will first hike till Pantwari and then drive back to Dehradun.
- Small backpack to hold the day walk necessities
- Luggage in rucksack/soft bags suitable to be carried by self or porters.
- Warm clothes, wind-cheater, scarf, hat, sun-glasses, sunscreen, comfortable walking shoes.
- Personal medical kit, water bottle, snacks.
- Toilet paper, wet wipes.
- A bag to collect own trash.
- Travel itineraries in the mountains don not necessarily run exactly as scheduled. Keep a buffer for delays due to weather, road conditions etc.
- Any additional expenses caused by delays, medical condition, road blocks and other causes will be borne by the guests.
- We recommend a comprehensive travel insurance and a medical checkup before the visit.
- This tour covers some remote destinations in Spiti which have very limited phone coverage, unpredictable weather and high altitude.
- Pickup drop from Dehradun in a private or shared taxi.
- Accommodation in campsites mentioned.
- Meals, tea and non-bottled water in campsite, Bottled water available for purchase.
- Hotel stay and meals at Dehradun before and after the trip.
- Personal expenses, refreshments during road journey, alcohol.
- Anything not mentioned explicitly in the above program.