This is one of the few treks which is open almost all year in Uttarakhand region. It offers excellent views of mountain peaks, forests and chance of spotting various types of birds and wild animals. A 1000 years old Tungnath temple lies enroute which is an important pilgrimage spot for Hindus and is the site for many mythological stories. Deoria Taal is a small lake on top of hill and that too is apicturesque place with excellent views and dense forest. The itinerary mentioned can be adjusted with starting point in Chopta and shortened or lengthened to include or exclude some places.
Day 01 : RISHIKESH – SARI 190 km drive in 5-6 hours
Day 02 : SARI – DEORIA TAAL( 2400m )
Day 03 : DEORIA TAAL – CHOPTA (2600 m) trek of 5-6 hours
Day 04 : CHOPTA TO TUNGNATH TEMPLE (3400m) TO CHANDRASHILA (3925m) and back (8 hours)
Day 05 : CHOPTA – RISHIKESH drive. 5 hours.
Duration: 5 Days | 4 Nights
Best Season: All year round (except monsoons) and peak pilgrimage season.
Difficulty Level: Easy
Maximum Elevation: Chandrashila Peak at 3925 m
Weather: Cold nights and days during winter. Pleasant days during summer
Getting From/To: Rishikesh is about 5 hours drive from Delhi and 1 hour drive from Haridwar railway station.
COST: INR 11000 per person.
TREK ITINERARY :
Day 01 : RISHIKESH – SARI ( Drive 200 kms in 5-6 hours)
Pickup can be provided from Rishikesh or Haridwar according to preference of guests. The drive normall takes about 5 hours from Rishikesh. As oone passes Rishikesh the mountainous area starts. Night in a small guest house or homestay in Sari village.
Day 02 : SARI TO DEORIA TAL (2400 m) – 8 KM in 4 hours
We will first visit the famous Ukhimath temple before taking up the trail which goes up till Deoria Taal. It is a small lake on top of the hill with magnificent views of Himalayan mountain ranges all around. THere is a small clearing for campsite.
Day 03 : DEORIATAL – CHOPTA (2600m, trek /5-6 hours)
Next day, we will walk on the trail which passes through dense forest, occassional meadows and some mountain streams towards Chopata, a small village at the bottom of Tungnath and ChandraShila. This hike is extremely picturesque and offers amazing views of lush green forests. Night in campsite or a small guesthouse. Chopta remains deserted during winters when it snows.
Day 04 : CHOPTA TO TUNGNATH TEMPLE (3400m) TO CHANDRASHILA (3925m) AND RETURN TO CHOPTA (2347m) 15KM ( 8 hours)
We will start climbing up the trail and progress for about 3 hours to reach Tungnath temple. There path is paved ith stones and is usually easy to walk on. Chandrashila peak lies about 500 m above the temple and is slightly more difficult to get to during winters. There is yet another very small temple on top which seess an occassional visitor every now and then. Enjoy the beautiful view from top before going back to the campsite for dinner and rest.
Day 05 : CHOPTA – HARIDWAR or RISHIKESH
Drive back to Haridwar or Rishikesh to end the trip.
- Small backpack to hold the day walk supplies.
- Luggage in rucksack/soft bags suitable to be carried by self or porters.
- Warm clothes, wind-cheater, scarf, hat, sun-glasses, sunscreen, comfortable walking shoes.
- Personal medical kit, water bottle, snacks.
- Toilet paper, wet wipes.
- A bag to collect own trash.
- Travel itineraries in the mountains don not necessarily run exactly as scheduled. Keep a buffer for delays due to weather, road conditions etc.
- Any additional expenses caused by delays, medical condition, road blocks and other causes will be borne by the guests.
- We recommend a comprehensive travel insurance and a medical checkup before the visit.
- This tour covers some remote destinations in Spiti which have very limited phone coverage, unpredictable weather and high altitude.
- Pickup drop from Haridwar or Rishikesh in a private or shared taxi.
- Accommodation in campsites and guest houses mentioned.
- Meals, tea and non-bottled water in campsite, Bottled water available for purchase.
- Hotel stay and meals at Rishikesh or Haridwar before and after the trip.
- Personal expenses, refreshments during road journey, alcohol.
- Anything not mentioned explicitly in the above program.